this past weekend, we went down to visit my sweet pa (like we do every saturday) in fallbrook. my aunt, uncle, cousin, and his family were there and i had a great time taking pictures of his cute kids, elliot and emmitt. elliot is five and emmitt is two. those two boys have so much energy, you would not even believe. and they love getting dirty. the dapper ranch is totally the perfect place for them.
here is silly elliot. he was liza's little pal. he liked me too. he loved playing restuarant with me. liza was the waiter, rachel was the chef, and elliot and i were the customers. then he and liza played tag with the tub of forty-year-old jelly beans for twenty minutes. seriously, those kids could not be worn out.
finally, here i am in grams and pa's gorgeous house. this weekend, i realized that their house is so beautiful. i think i kind of knew that before, but i guess i was really looking this time. grams had a kind of eclectic collection of really cool things. like in this picture, on those sixty-year-old monster speakers, there is a real live cuckoo clock. there is a key to it, and if you wind it up, a little birdie pops out of it and makes the real cuckoo clock sound. and all of the lamps in that great room upstairs are tiffany style lamps. i love those. and the windows. there are not really any walls up there. it is all windows that look out through giant trees over fields of strawberries and avocados.
there is a unique comfort in the homes of grandparents, and even if you are positive that there is a family of mice sleeping in the room that you always sleep in, you feel safe. it is not exactly like home, but rather a place of everlasting childhood. that is what i feel when i visit there every week. even though my grams has passed on, i am gently reminded of her nurturing spirit every time i walk onto the ranch. she was such a special woman and i will always remember her for her unconditional love.
2 comments:
ummm HELLO! I loved your comment on my blog yesterday. It made me miss you. I miss our rants too. Emilee doesn't know how to rant.. it's tragic.
I miss fallbrook too! Did I tell you I met someone from fallbrook once this semester? They didn't know any Dappers though. I asked.
Who do these little boys belong to? I love the bowl cut on the tiny one.
p.s. you look gorgeous in that pic! Love the curly hair!
Yeah your on the way to a great blog!!!!
Post a Comment